A few items learned from Craigslist playbook. Our advice is to Deal Locally, Face-To-Face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts. If you found a great item that you cannot pick up in person, use Paypal that guarantees a refund if you do not receive your item. See Paypal’s information here.
Do not send money with Western Union: Trade in person.
- Beware of offers involving shipping – deal with locals you can meet in person, see the items and meet in a public place.
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union, Money Gram) – 99% of people who ask you to are scammers.
- Don’t accept cashier/certified checks or money orders – banks cash fake checks sometimes, then hold you responsible.
- Transactions are between buyer and seller only, no third party provides a “guarantee” of the seller.
- Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, Paypal account, etc).
- Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing “deal” may not exist.
- Pay attention to the area code of the phone number, if it is (804) 204-xxxx and the person says the item is in Oregon, chances are this is a scam as the phone number is from Virginia.
- Bridal Garage Sales is not affiliated with any “Vendors” on this site. If someone claims they are a vendor of Bridal Garage Sales and their product is “guaranteed” this is a scam.
We recommend looking at the Safe Trade Stations website for a great place to have a safe transaction. If you do not find a place to do so, contact your local city police to see if they have a spot in your town that is not on the list yet.
Remember if that deal is just to good to be true, it probably is. If you feel that an item is list to scam someone, please use the “flag as inappropriate” button.